50 Miles of Elbow Room


June 21, 2018


Vastness and elbow room for all

There is an old gospel song that Iris Dement sings that talks about heaven having “50 miles of elbow room on either side to spare, and there’s room for you and room for me”. The south west of our country certainly has room to spare. On one hand I get somewhat bored with the arid, dry, ready-to-burn-at-the-slightest-spark, deserts that go on and on for miles. On the other hand, some of our fellow Americans live with the most incredible scenery of majestic rocks and “purple mountains majesty” in wide open spaces and I can see why they would feel cramped and crowded in the east or in cities.

We have driven through many towns that you can about see the whole thing in a few minutes because there are no buildings over 2 stories tall, few trees, and the land is flat. I am guessing if you live in a town like that you kind of know everyone there after a bit? In Richmond, I can go shopping or walking for months on end without running into someone I know. I guess In cities we share our space so frequently with others that it would take an enormous amount of emotional and mental energy to try to get to know all we meet and some would object to our nosy-ness. Mostly, we like to make our own space and guard it carefully. Also, why is it that the older I get the more I enjoy quiet and solitude?

The life-giving yucca plant- a desert source of food and fibers for baskets and ropes and more. 

I need wide open spaces with plenty of light. Dark and small spaces are my nightmare. So the West appeals to me in many ways. I was raised on a dairy farm in Ohio - about 365 acres of which about 75 of that was woods. It included a creek which provided hours of wading, swimming, tadpole-catching time. I sometimes marvel at how we children wandered all over that farm and Mom seldom knew exactly where we were and could not see us.  We swung on grapevines, picked mushrooms and elderberries to eat, and chased fireflies in the evenings. These days parents would not let their children have that much free rein. I often wonder how we know what time it was or when to come for meals. My grandchildren will never know what it was like pre-cellphone, pre- fear of kidnapping, pre-mass school shooting. In many ways we have lost much that was incredibly valuable.

We really enjoyed the west BEFORE IT GOT SO HOT!!!! It’s sizzling right now.

North Side of Grand Canyon

Two weeks ago we were at the North side of Grand Canyon. Last week we were on the South side of Grand Canyon. Steve thinks the colors and scenery are better on the North side of the Canyon. I kind of agree. But both sides are jaw-dropping awesome!

We did some hiking along the top of the South Rim and watched with fascination the tiny specs that were people moving on the trails below. If one is to take a mule down, you have to book it about a year ahead. But anyone can walk it - except people like me who would have to be in better shape to make it back up. A sign at the top warns that helicopters have to rescue about 150 people per year. And to take a lot of water along. On the North Rim at the Canyon Lodge we met two men on Sunday evening who had just completed walking from the South Rim down and up the North Rim in one day. Wow! They did not even look very exhausted.


See that trail down there? We could see specs of people that were walking it.

A peak at the Colorado River that flows through the Canyon


We drove from the South Rim to Las Vegas and a really pretty RV park. Palm trees, green grass, neat landscaping. But it was at least 105° and not conducive to even an evening walk. I was packing that evening because----

Thursday I flew back to Richmond for Alan’s graduation. Alan is the son of Amparo who married my son, Peter when Alan was 8. Amparo is from Ecuador and Alan was born there. He came to the U.S. at age 9 knowing very little English. I remember reading “Reading Level” books with him that first summer. By the next summer he was into reading Harry Potter books. He learned to play a trombone and was sent to district band. When he was finished with 8th grade, he qualified for Maggie Walker Governors’ School and there he made the National Honor Society. Last summer I took him to Haiti with me and he enjoyed playing soccer and basketball with the boys and volleyball with the girls and went on a mobile prenatal clinic. He’s just such an sweet guy to be with. So, we’re super proud of him. He heads to James Madison University this fall.









Anyway, this traveling thing is why I missed getting a blog out last week. 

I finished a knotted comforter for Alan’s dorm room and cooked several nights. Amparo, who had her own challenges learning English, is now an LPN and works mostly evenings, so Peter was happy to have some help with the evening meals. I planned to stay a week so that I could go to Lexi’s 8th birthday party in Leesburg. But I got a nasty head cold by Wednesday. And I mean the kind that makes you feel horrid for days. By Friday I was so miserable I knew I could not go with Peter who was taking Garvey and Polette to the party and there was no use in exposing others to this crud. I rested instead and today I think I will live through this one.

Sunday I fly back to Las Vegas and Steve, eager to be with him again and hear about the golf and bowling and general reunion with his sister, Lynn, and brother, David. Home is where the heart is but all Grandmas know your heart can be several places at once. Although I am of the opinion that one of these littles gave me the cold, I have enjoyed being Peter’s family so much. Leaving Polette and Garvey, ages 6 and 8, will hurt tomorrow. 

When with those we love, we love not having elbow room.




Here's another Iris Dement song: "Go Ahead and Go Home"- 

In the deep of the night, In the deep of the night
By the river so still where sorrows come to heal
and wrongs are made right
Down in the deep of the night, In the deep of the night
On a creaking porch swing, the ancient ones sing
"everything is alright"

Comments

  1. So that is the boost that Alan received....a Grandma that read and read to him! He was such an impressive acolyte at our church ...gave it the dignity that a Catholic might have or so I imagined.
    Hope he continues with his horn even while he continues his education.
    Looking forward to your next blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We're still fighting the Civil War

They killed Indians and we broke the bed

Retirement is a lot of work!