Dad's I-pad and Florida


March 19, 2018

The Pences and Steve


White sand, sun, 70-80 degrees-----Eat your heart out. Florida decided to warm up just for us.

We did little site-seeing in Charleston for 3 reasons: 1) Steve was still working on making the car towing – capable, 2) Charleston was cold and windy, and 3) we wanted to have time with the grandchildren after school in the evenings. The car was ready to tow by the time we left Charleston. And I was over cold weather.
 
Towing mechanism
Cooper Bridge- too cold and windy to walk it.

  

We found it hard to find an RV park in all of northern Florida that had an empty site for us. The Gator Classic was at Gainesville. And we were lucky to get one north of Daytona because it was Bike Week for Harley Davidson at Daytona Beach. When we did finally arrive at one in Ormond Beach we were surrounded by Harley Davidisons. Interesting culture. I had not known that the noise Harleys make is unique and patented and caused by the pistons not firing evenly - or something like that.


Before we left Charleston I had time to read a lot of books while Steve did all the work. When my dad died last October and we split up some of his things, I got his I-pad. I discovered the books he had on his Kindle app and decided to read them before I changed the Kindle on it to my account. It has been strangely comforting to have Dad’s I-pad. I put in his passcode, I see his photos, I read his books. One was about the Amish.

Dad drove the Amish around Ohio for many years. He had a heart for them, could speak the low German they use, and was concerned about their faith and well-being. He understood them because his mother had been raised Amish before she married a Mennonite and had Amish cousins. He did not learn English until he went to first grade. So one of the books on his I-pad was a true account of a woman who had left the Amish because of severe abuse- Child abuse and sexual abuse happens in all cultures but is covered up in the Amish culture because of the way they handle problems away from our justice system.

Reading about the Amish was enlightening  and also put Dad on my mind. And we were headed to his house in Sarasota where my sister and her husband and daughter were staying for the week. Dad and Mom had been coming to their house in Florida for the winter for many years. Dad stayed by himself there for the last 3 years. The last time I was at that house was 10 years ago when we surprised Mom for her 80th birthday. So here I was headed Dad’s house in Florida with Dad’s I-pad on the first winter in years that he would not be there. The pain of grief comes and goes in severity but being in Florida at Dad’s house made it freshly painful.

Shannon and Keith took us to the place where Dad played shuffleboard and Bocche ball most days he was in Florida. Saturday we went to Siesta Key Beach with them and their daughter Mandy to relax in the sun and white sand. We visited Carlisle Inn, owned by some of our relatives on Dad's side and saw the Amish theme there. We talked about the orange trees Dad had planted expecting the 6 of his children to enjoy the place for years and now we are planning to sell it. Ouch.
Behind the reception desk at Carlisle Inn
My sister and I in front of a 100 year old quilt at the Carlisle Inn in Sarasota.


Sunday was a fun day of seeing the Orioles play a spring training game with old friends, Wayne and Mona Pence. Before she died of lung cancer at the age of 37, their daughter was Public Relations manager for the Orioles. Because of that, they get free tickets to games and spend time here in Florida every spring with the team that still misses Monica. I am not the only one who has bittersweet memories when coming to Florida.


Me and Mona


We parked the RV at Carol and Jerry’s house in Northport and are staying in their house as we do not have water hook-up here. It is the only break we will get in months from staying in the RV although we find it very comfortable. But water hook-up is essential if we want to use the toilets, shower and wash dishes.

Carol and I worked together as midwives in Virginia for over 10 years with Brenda Brickhouse at Virginia Women’s Center. Because of us running to Sarasota every day so far, we have not had much time with Carol and Jerry yet. We have had some good evenings playing Mexican train Dominos! Brenda and her husband arrive here Monday. It will be so fun to all be together again.

Family and friends, sunshine and wine—it will be a great week!
Me and Carol




Comments

  1. There is nothing better than a bunch of midwives together! Maybe that is why I enjoy the house in Hinche!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We're still fighting the Civil War

From the city to the desert, from hubbub to stillness

They killed Indians and we broke the bed